jueves, 21 de mayo de 2015

AIRLINE-DRIVER JUMP-SEAT ADVENTURES CHRONICLE 3


                                                    AFTERNOON LADIES    continued

          He aced the landing, touching down exactly on the runway centerline. Great plumes of water and spray were sucked into the 4 reversed engines as the heavy 747 swayed back and forth on its resistent undercarriage. We slowed until surrendering lift, and at that precise instant were transformed into a large bus with wings on wheels.

          The Old Man calmly canceled reverse and used the tiller to steer us to our parking finger at Heathrow. 
         
          What a role-model he was ! A popular aviation saying came to mind: "There´s Old-Pilots and Bold Pilots but No Old, Bold Pilots."

          During the flight he asked me what aircraft and which outfit I flew for and I told him. - Ah, the C 47.  You´re a lucky man,- He said, and continued, - I flew the 3 in Korea and here at Pan Am, too.- He was lost in thought for a few seconds, re-visiting his past I imagined..

          A couple hours later he said, -Well, let´s get this baby on the ground !- Then he added. -Can´t keep your Señora waiting, can we ?- He knew how bad I wanted to get home. The clock was ticking. I think he understood how I felt. No doubt we´ve all been through similar situations.

          I had shared pieces of my own, at that point, limited aviation life-story. Now I wish I had gotten his name and address. To this day, he remains in my heart both for his humanity and generous kindness. I took note of every single word of his wisdom. It served me well in later years.

          I gave him and his crew my thanks and left them to their business.

          To make a long-story short, even back then Heathrow was not the easiest airport in the world to gain access to any flightcrew operations desk. British Airways flat turned me down. Finally, I made my way to the Air Europe departure lounge. In those days a uniform and license would get one to a boarding gate. Nowadays it is un-thinkable.

          I spotted a Air Europe charter flight to Barcelona which I could not afford to miss. I was able to intercept the Captain and give him my desperate story. I must have been a sorry sight. But it worked !

          The Captain gave my license and ID a look-over and handed them back to me.  -Take a seat in First, or come up front with us if you want. Up to you,-  He concluded.

          Yes! So I´d made it this far. I could only think of embracing my wife and son.

           So, halfway home, but STILL only halfway. Barcelona was getting closer, only three and a half hours flight time away but by then I had already been travelling for over 19 hours. My guardian angel was watching over logistics but my body was signalling me with a giant Whoa! Stop !

          Was Lady-Luck going to stay on my side? I still had to get to Ibiza. My stress had become sheer exhaustion at that point.

          I slept the whole flight to mainland Spain. I´d worry about further logistics when I arrived.

          

           

          

          

          

          

          

No hay comentarios: